It’s definitely been too long since the last Anime Diet Radio episode…and a lot has happened since then. But now we’re back, just in time for AX coverage, the Aniblog Tourney, and more! We talk about the usual round of strange news–politicians buying manga with political funds, a robot officiating a wedding, and of course a bill about “non-existent children.” We answer all the letters from the last episode. And, finally, we fill you in on just what the heck has been going on with the site for the past several months and what we’ll be doing in the next couple of weeks: namely, Anime Expo 2010!
Here’s something a little different about this podcast too: we’re asking you for a few things! Have you ever wanted to help out our cause in some way? Well, here’s what we’re looking for:
- —VOTES FOR THE ANIBLOG TOURNEY! Right now, we’re in the middle of Round 4 of the Aniblog Tourney. We’re up against the classy and respectable blog The Null Set–but you love us because we’re crass and disrespectable, right? Please vote for us if you haven’t already! [http://aniblogtourney.wordpress.com/2010/06/22/round-4-match-8/]
- —FUNNY ANIME/MANGA TITLES: send us your suggestions for anime/manga titles that with only a slight change might suggest…something else. For instance, Ray suggested “Shounen Hump.” We’ll read the best ones aloud!
- —INTERVIEW QUESTIONS FOR AX 2010 GUESTS: there are a lot of Guests of Honor at AX this year. Do you have any questions to ask any of them? Send us your suggestions by email [firstname.lastname@example.org] or by leaving a comment!
- —AX VIDEO AND PHOTO: if you have any cool video or photos you’d like to share with us from this year’s Anime Expo, send links of them to us at the same email address above! We might feature the best ones on our site.
Lots of ways to contribute! Thanks so much for sticking with us in our down time and we will definitely be seeing you again soon!
(NOTE: as usual there were some audio quality issues here and there. Hopefully things will be better next time!)
- (00:00) Introduction
- (05:12) News 1: Bill Banning Nonexistent Children Struck Down
- (20:04) News 2: Robot Officiates Wedding
- (27:38) News 3: Politician Buys Shoujo Manga With Voter Funds
- (38:38) Mailbag
- (52:35) Roundtable: Our Past, Present, and Future
- (71:55) Conclusion
- OP/ED: “My Soul, Your Beats!” (regular and rock version)
- Source for the story about non-existent children is from ANN [http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2010-06-16/tokyo-nonexistent-youth-bill-rejected-by-assembly]. The robot wedding is from Weird Asia News [http://www.weirdasianews.com/2010/05/23/ifairy-robot-performs-wedding/]. Finally, the story about the politician is also from ANN [http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2010-06-15/minister-arai-regrets-aide-listing-manga-as-expenses]
- Once again–you can vote for us at the Aniblog Tourney here [http://aniblogtourney.wordpress.com/2010/06/22/round-4-match-8/]. Some of the previous coverage we did is available on our Youtube channel [http://youtube.com/animediet], and our lengthy interviews with Nabeshin here [http://animediet.net/conventions/pmx-2009-exclusive-interview-with-nabeshin]!
3 thoughts on “Anime Diet Radio Episode 49 – The Return of the Legend of the Legendary Podcast”
AD Radio is back with full force!
Whooohooo!! And let me quantify that exclamation by stating my hesitancy to fill ADR’s “sacks” with anything. But I digress. Couldn’t believe my ears when my iPod starting pumping me with the latest and greatest from you guys – hisashiburi da na.
Ok, on topic now. Firstly – why the crap are people making a big deal out of a politician using tax payers money erroneously. Doesn’t this happen every single day? Is it just that it’s manga that people are making a fuss (not to mention the content of the manga)? I think there are larger problems to the point where this sort of thing almost needs to be overlooked. Of course, I speaking largely about America… maybe it’s just that different in Japan.
About the whole non-existent youths thing – I really have a mixed opinion. On the one hand (the one I use for katana-wielding 😉 ), I outright oppose the idea that artists should be restricted in any sense of the word when dealing with obviously fake, non-existent humans. No one is being hurt by this. If you wish to present the argument that people are hurt indirectly, via the art planting ideas in someone’s head, then I would argue thus. This particular art is already, or should already, being controlled as to who can access it. If you’re over 18, there is no excuse for you being so easily influenced by something you should already know is wrong. On the other hand (the strictly business hand), I think there may be a call for some regulations about where this merch can be sold. And I just realized as I’m typing this that this is not an actual objection to my previous hand. Both my hands agree that these restrictions are a terrible idea, apparently.
Also, I really love your choice of music for this episode – Angel Beats! is probably my favorite show of this season. (Or the past couple seasons, for that matter.)
Ok, list of titles:
Angel Beats Off!
BukakkeSatsu Tenchi Dokoro-chan!
and finally Wolf’s Golden Rain.
Ok, that last one was a stretch.
Great to hear you guys back on the airwaves of the Internets.
Another english romance game that deserves mention is Katawa Shoujo. http://katawa-shoujo.com/
Even though only a demo is out, it’s shaping up to be one few western-made visual novels that approach the level of professional japanese releases in art and writing.
Comments are closed.