Apparently, for this 39th episode of Anime Diet Radio, we have a lot of stories about otakus themselves: otakus losing weight, pulling stunts with stars, and getting ruder by the minute! Because we all love to make fools of ourselves, right? But yes, those are the contents of our news items for this episode: the Otaking writing a diet book, an otaku blogger drinking Minorin’s bottle, and a roundtable about whether otaku have gotten less considerate in recent years. Oh, and there’s a story about how some Buddhists in Japan are using moe to draw new converts, a mixing of tradition and, uh, a study of modern visual culture if there was one.
We also have a slightly different mailbag this time–we had only received one comment on the previous episode when this was recorded (yes, this was late–Comic Con got in the way), and so we not only answer that but also some comments from our Indecent Otaku Comedy Hour panel at Anime Expo. Thanks for coming out and seeing us there! For the ones that got away we’ll answer your mail in the next episode.
We’re also proud to note that we are finalists for the Parsec Awards for “best anime podcast”! The Parsec Awards are given for the best speculative fiction (sf/fantasy/horror/etc) podcasts in various categories and is sponsored by the big SF convention in Atlanta, DragonCon. Thanks for listening and supporting us for the 2.5 half years we’ve been on the air and for helping make this one of the best anime podcasts on the net! If we win the big prize, we’ll be sure to thank you all.
- –00:00 – Intro
- –02:56 – News 1: The Otaking’s Diet Book
- –11:18 – News 2: Buddhism + moe = Epic Win?
- –19:34 – News 3: Blogger Steals Minorin’s Water Bottle
- –29:13 – Mailbag
- –36:48 – Roundtable: Otaku Devolution?
- –54:07 – Conclusion
- –OP: “Super Noisy Nova” by Sphere (OP to Sora no Manimani)
- –ED: “Kimi no Uta (キミノウタ)” by abingdon boys school (OP to Tokyo Magnitude 8.0)
- –The original story about the Otaking’s diet book can be found at ANN [http://tinyurl.com/mjatst]. You can buy the book from Amazon here! [http://tinyurl.com/nnm5ln]
- –Sankaku Complex carries the story about the moeficatin of Buddhism here [http://www.sankakucomplex.com/2009/07/16/moe-buddhism-draws-otaku-converts/].
- –The drama about Minori’s water bottle all begins over here [http://www.atalude.net/2009/07/13/daicon-the-minori-ty-report/].
- –Missed our panel, the Indecent Otaku Comedy Hour? Watch the video in HD here! [http://animediet.net/conventions/indecent-otaku-comedy-hour-official-video]