When I was navigating 恋愛相談 Renai-Soudan (relationship consultation) section of Yahoo!Japan, I found an interesting thread. Some girl wrote, “I smashed my boyfriend’s DS since he was totally absorbed in a dating sim.”
For some reason, this fall season has resulted in me only blogging three shows regularly–Clannad, Kimikiss Pure Rouge, and especially ef-a tale of memories. All are either primarily or feature romance in prominent places, and of the teenage variety to boot, and a good many have either some real heavy drama/trauma or at least the threat of such. What gives? Why am I sucked into these shows time and time again? Is it time to wonder whether Ray is right and I’m much more confused about my sexuality than I assumed? :)
This special episode was supposed to be released on Halloween, but certain…curses of sorts fell on me that very day. I’m still picking up the pieces from that scariest of days. This is a simple episode, in which we talk about only a few things–the mailbag, and the GOOD, the BAD, and the HORRIBLE of the fall season! (Shows include: ef-a tale of memories, Minami-ke, Gundam 00, Ghost Hound, Kaiji, Genshiken, Kimikiss Pure Rouge, and Kawaii Jenny.)
Also, if you noticed that this podcast sounds a little different, it’s because Ray so kindly volunteered to edit it! [Editor’s note: I don’t use Apple so no AAC, and Mike is swamped with work to edit it and make it AAC format. Gomen nasai!] I think you’ll agree he did a great job.So, enjoy this very late Halloween episode…if you dare. Bwahahahahaha!
- (00:00-05:01) Intro – Halloween special jokes and chat about Anime Souffle‘s (0) Halloween bash
- (05:02-31:05) Mail bag – Random 11, korosora, 2 from Benu, and 1 from Daniel, a member of the Anime Souffle at http://anime.meetup.com/447. The club is based in LA.
- (31:05-1:10:00 end) Review – Kawaii JeNny (1), Ghost Hound (2), Kaiji (3), Gundam 00 (4), Genshiken S2 (5), ef – a tale of memories (6), Minami-Ke (7), and Kimikiss Pure Rouge (8).
- OP – “Higurashi no Naku Koro ni,” Eiko Shimamiya (OP of When They Cry – Higurashi)
- ED – “Poltergeist,” Kojima Mayumi (OP of Ghost Hound)
- Music clips – “Fearful Experience,” Meguro Masashi, “Kiru,” Eitetsu Hayashi & Kaoru Wada, SAMURAI 7 Image Album, “Girls on Film,” Duran Duran. “Eva 01,” Evangelion soundtrack, and various music clips from Lucky Star.
- Sound clips -From “Jigoku Shojo,” “Suzumiya Haruhi,” “The Blair Witch Project,” “From Dusk till Dawn.”
- Read the comments from Random 11, korosora here (9). Read the comments from Benu and Daniel here (10).
- CalAggie – sorry we didn’t get your comment on 13 before we recorded 15. So perhaps we’ll read your mail next time.
- asdf – sorry we didn’t get your new comment on 14 before we recorded 15. So perhaps we’ll read your mail next time.
- We are J-List affiliates. Click here (11) to visit J-List, and if you buy something via this click, you help to support this site!
- (0) http://anime.meetup.com/447
- (1) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46m2BvJ471Y
- (2) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghost_Hound
- (3) http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=8550
- (4) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gundam_00
- (5) http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=7985
- (6) http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=8192
- (7) http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=8536
- (8) http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=8210
- (9) http://animediet.net/archives/1848#comments
- (10) http://animediet.net/archives/2487#comments
- (11) http://affiliates.jlist.com/click/19?url=http://www.jlist.com/
Having been washed of my sins for enjoying School Days as much as I did :), I now proceed to talk about a much more pleasant, innocent, and still thoroughly enjoyable show about pretty much the same sceanario (at least on the surface). And to make yet another confession: I have an anime crush on Mao-neechan.
Yesterday I repented of my initial thoughts about ef~a tale of memories. Today I repent in dust and ashes for my initial review of Kimikiss Pure Rouge. You are all right: this is a different show altogether than what I thought. It is still slightly grating to see some cliches but it is already coming to be an above average high school romance. It’s certainly better than Myself; Yourself, though even that one is showing some promising signs (more to come in another review soon).
I could just give this a one word review, in the words of Homer Simpson:
But I think I, Michael, owe you a little more explanation. So here it goes.