No, we haven’t all joined the Navy and become Village People. We just recorded a new episode of Anime Diet Radio, that’s all! This episode, we talk about the US Navy’s efforts to placate inform the Japanese people about their mission via manga, as well as Mamoru Oshii’s best attempts to be like George Lucas in his remake of Ghost in the Shell. We also answer your comments and talk, seriously for a change, about the recent Akihabara massacre. It might even have something to do with that other great show this season, Kure-nai.
Excuse the lack of sexy resonance in my voice–I was back home on the East Coast and didn’t have my fancy mixer and microphone with me, so I had to make do with a headset mike.
- (00:00–04:53) Introduction
- (04:54–11:54) News 1: Ghost in the Shell remake
- (11:55–24:20) News 2: The Navy makes a manga
- (24:21–32:18) Mailbag
- (32:19–45:45) Roundtable: the Akihabara Massacre
- (45:45–46:47) Conclusion
- –OP: “Kimi, Meguru, Boku” by Motohira Hata (OP to Itazara na Kiss)
- –ED: “Sore ga, ai deshou” by Shimokawa Mikuni (OP to Full Metal Panic Fumoffu)
- –You can see some before(1)-and(2)-after(3) pictures of the “improvements” made to the new Ghost in the Shell. More info available at Anime News Network(4).
- –The Navy manga is available in English here(5), and Japanese here(6). More info here at ANN(7).
- –Errata on the Navy manga story: the lowest possible rate(8) for Navy enlisted men is indeed “seaman.” No snickers, please. 🙂 The Kitty Hawk is stationed in Yokosuka Naval Base, not Okinawa. Ensign is the bottom rank for officers, though, as stated. Also, the serviceman charged with rape recently in Japan is a Marine(9) rather than a Navy sailor proper (the Marines are a branch of the Navy, however), and the girl he allegedly raped is 14 rather than 12. Shows what I know about the military!
Website References (for iTunes listeners)
- (1) http://news.pia.jp/pia/news_image.do?newsCd=200806090000&imageCd=0
- (2) http://news.pia.jp/pia/news_image.do?newsCd=200806090000&imageCd=1
- (3) http://news.pia.jp/pia/news_image.do?newsCd=200806090000&imageCd=2
- (4) http://tinyurl.com/4pp5fq
- (5) http://www.cpf.navy.mil/news_images/manga/CVN73-eng.pdf
- (6) http://www.cpf.navy.mil/news_images/manga/CVN73-jp.pdf
- (7) http://tinyurl.com/3lz6nt
- (8) http://www.navy.mil/navydata/navy_legacy_hr.asp?id=260
- (9) http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/asiapcf/02/22/okinawa.rape/index.html