What? Is this Freddy Mercury, or is it an imitator, singing our anthem for the new year? This is the first episode of Anime Diet Radio for 2009, and with it, we have some fresh new music and the return of the mailbag section, as well as wacky news about Tentacle (G)rape, the Evangelion snowboard, as well as the Japanese space toilet. Oh, and we talk a bit more seriously about the legalization of Crunchyroll, and why Ray’s mad that it region locks him out of the fun.
Thanks to everyone who commented on the last episode. We definitely want your feedback and your thoughts, and we’ll read the mail we get on the air! Just leave a comment on the post here and we’ll get to it in the next recording.
- (00:00–03:56) Intro
- (03:57–13:29) Mailbag
- (13:30–21:27) News 1: Tentacle Grape
- (21:28–27:56) News 2: Evangelion Snowboard
- (27:57–33:29) News 3: Japanese Toilets in Space
- (33:30–53:54) Roundtable: Crunchyroll and Region Locking
- (53:55–end) Conclusion
- –The very beginning clip is from Minami-ke, first season, and it says: “Also, brighten your room, and keep at least three meters away from the TV.” This replaces the blurb from Lucky Star.
- –OP: “I Was Born to Love You,” by Queen (or is it?). See the reference Youtube video at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0RW9B7E3dQ
- –ED: “Keikenchi Soku Joujou”, ED to Minami-ke Okaeri
- –Tentacle Grape’s website is here (1).
- –Find out more about the Evangelion snowboard at Anime News Network. (2)
- –See a picture of the proposed space toilet at Pink Tentacle (my, we really are filled with them today) (3).
- –See Crunchyroll’s current programming, which lists all the country restrictions, over here (4). Yes, I put my money where my mouth is and have signed up for a $7 monthly membership–now I can watch all of Gintama. Also, there are actually a few shows that are in fact available to Europeans, but the majority are still US/Canada only.
Web References for iTunes Listeners
- (1) http://tentaclegrape.com
- (2) http://tinyurl.com/8h7cpb
- (3) http://tinyurl.com/7va8bd
- (4) http://www.crunchyroll.com/lineup?src=topbar
4 thoughts on “Anime Diet Radio Episode 30: Baby, We Were Born to Love”
Wow! A confession on air hahaha. But im more shocked that you dont watch stuff like naruto and didnt even finished Deathnote. The topic about the toilets in space reminded me of the anime Planetes, where there is a country tryin to develop a space pod or something to be sold to Nasa. Anyway, what a very interesting topic you guys have here about Crunchyroll. Like Ray, I dont wanna pay anything for anime too, and we can also get almost any anime here for a buck or two like in China,but i got used in downloading the fansub versions and use megaupload for it, so technically i did pay some amount ( to megaupload that is,and it is very reliable since i alsouse it to get alot of softwares movies and games etc). I am familliar with Crunchyroll, I used to watch anime there too, and that was like 2-3 years ago. BTW i am from the Philippines and I just tried to go there now and i was able to play some eps, like Naruto ep 91 and Druaga Sword of Uruk ep 2, ofcourse i dont have the membership but I didnt get any region block errors either.
Stephen007: thanks for your reply. We’ll talk about it on our next episode. 😉 And yeah, there do seem to be some shows you can watch in the Philippines, and even in Europe in a few cases, but it varies across the board.
Naruhudo, tough luck Ray maybe you need to show ’em your version of the 48 cop killer moves!
Stephen007 – oh believe me I very much wanted to. I think a double fret guitar of supreme cruelty oughta do it…
Comments are closed.