Full disclosure: Anime Diet Radio was inspired first by the format of the old Anime Nano Podcast…but we can’t say we did what Nick Simmons did to Bleach! Our podcast, unlike his comic, is an homage (pronounced oh-MAHJ) and a tribute of that fine podcast from 2006. That, of course, is one of the topics of the news on this 48th episode of Anime Diet Radio, along with the usual news items about a possible island full of eromanga and a Korean man who just can’t get enough of his dakimakura.
The Roundtable is a little different this time around; due to technical and scheduling conflicts, it’s instead an excerpt of a fruitful conversation between Ray and Mike about the upcoming spring season. The full conversation is also available as a bonus xtra, downloadable on the website–includes all the awkward pauses and scroll wheel sounds you never usually hear on our productions! It’s a raw look at the kind of talks that gave birth to this podcast all those years ago.
You probably noticed that the podcasts have been coming out at about a monthly clip in the middle of the month. That’s on purpose–expect new episodes around this time every month from now on. We are striving to be, as they say, regular in these releases. Yell loudly if we’re late!
- (00:00) – Introduction
- (03:33) – News 1: A Korean man and his Fate pillow
- (11:50) – News 2: Eromanga Island is Real
- (20:37) – News 3: Nick Simmons’ Big Rip Off
- (30:19) – Mailbag
- (44:10) – Roundtable: Next Season
- (55:10) – Conclusion
- –OP: “Meiya Kadenrou (冥夜花伝廊)” by Minami Kuribayashi (from Katanagatari)
- –ED: “Refulgence” by Shoujobyo (from Katanagatari)
- –The story about the Korean man and his Fate pillow was reported in multiple sources. Here’s one from Metro UK, which names the lucky groom as one Lee Jin-gyu [http://www.metro.co.uk/weird/816601-man-marries-pillow]. Sankaku Complex has more pictures (NSFW) [http://www.sankakucomplex.com/2010/03/05/korean-otaku-marries-fate-testarossa-dakimakura/].
- –This, of course, recalls previous ADR episodes about the guy who married a Love Plus character [http://animediet.net/podcasts/anime-diet-radio-episode-45-the-late-makenai-holiday-show], and our epic episode about the petition to marry 2d women [http://animediet.net/podcasts/anime-diet-radio-episode-28-love-and-marriage]. See also our article which first broke the Love Plus marriage story and predicted it would become an ADR item.
- –Eromanga Island is real! At least according to the news at Pink Tentacle [http://pinktentacle.com/2010/02/eromanga-island-has-disappeared/], which supplies a map to prove it.
- –The Nick Simmons scandal has been widely reported from many sources. See some comparison shots on a lengthy Livejournal page [http://community.livejournal.com/bleachness/446299.html]. ANN has Simmons’ statement [http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2010-03-01/incarnate-simmons-addresses-alleged-bleach-copying] and an explanatory story [http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2010-02-25/nick-simmons-incarnate-halted-over-alleged-bleach-plagiarism]. Our own moritheil also reported on it on our site [http://animediet.net/commentary/great-artists-steal], to much comment.
- –The game site that is doing a contest to propose a Western-friendly romance game is Gamasutra. Here’s their challenge [http://gamecareerguide.com/features/831/game_design_challenge_.php], whose results will be posted on Tuesday.
- –Ray and I used Borderline Hikkikomori’s [http://cjblackwing.wordpress.com/2010/03/07/spring-2010-season-preview/] and THAT Anime Blog’s [http://www.thatanimeblog.com/index.php/2010/03/t-h-a-t-spring-2010-anime-preview/] spring season previews for our discussion. Props to y’all.
7 thoughts on “Anime Diet Radio Episode 48 – Plagiarize This!”
1. Srsly guys, your sound drop-ins are one of the reasons this is my all-time favorite podcast out of about 45.
2. Nick Simmons can go choke on a goat.
3. I’m leaving now. Dakimakura-waifu to isshouni Eromanga Island e ikimasu.
Keep it up, guys.
P.S. Yeah, my Nihongo might be a bit poor…
Korean guy marrying dakimakura is cool. This could have saved Cho Seung-Hui. If only he searched 2D girls instead of 3D chicks. That could have fend off his Black Day.
Erromanga, haha! There must be Erromanga Daioh! Too bad Japanese are changing the name.
Speaking about Japanese pun, an Inca emperor name was “Manco,” we used to joke “Manko-koutei(emperor of cxxt)” like Muttsulini from Mussolini. Some Japanese TV changed to “Mango-koutei” instead of “Manco-koutei.” Self-censored.
I wish I’d heard of the “western style” romance game idea contest before it ended. I have plenty of ideas… But then again, it’s easy to discuss ideas, and much more difficult to create even a low-budget independent game and release it.
This is the month in which an English version of Sakura Taisen 5 finally gets released, and it’s just a month before the English version of Agarest War. Professional translations of console-exclusive relationship games have been rare and often poor, but at least some companies are giving this untried, niche content a chance.
There are some professionally made romance games originally in English other than the ones mentioned on the contest page. Because it’s now on iTunes (and perhaps soon DSiWare), Surviving High School is getting positive publicity. However, some other titles, such as Matchmaker: Love U, only exist on cellphones.
And if you weren’t aware, there’s impressive content getting released by English speaking fans. For instance, one recent freeware title is Re: Alistair, which is a fairly simple dating simulation, similar to Tokimeki Memorial Girl’s Side, but with unique themes and settings. And just a month or two ago, I was rather impressed by The Flower Shop, a statistics-heavy game which includes farming segments. (Full version is $20.) Finally, I’m keeping track of how Shira Oka is developing through its Facebook page.
If more quality original English language visual novels continue to get released, then someday soon, fans may lose interest in untranslated games.
Eromanga is also a small town in Southwest Queensland, Australia.
Yeah, it’s me again, providing more comment spam… I have a few brief thoughts.
First, I’ve been reminded recently that it’s a good idea to remember that fandoms are absurd, and shouldn’t be Serious Business. I had to learn when I was young that it was a bad idea to take baseball seriously. I had to take breaks from any number of frustrating NES and SNES era video games. Though I enjoy anime, manga, and comics, it’s wise to step back when flame wars erupt. Attending sci-fi and furry cons has reminded me that other fans aren’t all that different.
I mention this because visual novel fandom is small, but it’s just as full of drama and in-fighting. There’s no shortage of elitist fans, and odd individuals who take their interests way too far. Well-written stories get ignored, while shallow ones get attention (just like in many other fandoms).
Before I move on to another subject, let me mention a site I just discovered — http://www.orchidgames.com . This indie group’s efforts strive to add a romance novel plot to a solitaire game. Yes, they are serious about this. In other words, the concept is as unusual as some of the ideas in the Game Career Guide contest, but the game is already available for purchase.
Second, what podcasts do you listen to, or watch? I listen to weekly discussions such as Writing Excuses, RPGCast, Otaku Generation, and Greatest Movie Ever. But I tend to tune out podcasts which contain more than one or two rants, or which seem overly negative.
Also, I’ve become a fan of Animucast lately, because it’s full of tasteless comedy, and the occasional insightful comment. It helps that the hosts admit foolish things they’ve done, or unpopular series they like.
Finally, what cons/events are you still hoping to attend? I haven’t made it to a number of large anime cons, any Gen Con event, or major sci-fi cons such as Dragon Con. But it looks like I’ll be able to afford Penny Arcade Expo soon. It could be a nice change.
Hi guys love the show on the note of nick simmons and Plagiarizium (spelled that wrong). L’s symbol is being ues on HANNAH MONTANA and i dout they have Tsugumi Ohba or Takeshi Obata let alone Viz Meida’s ok to to have it.
if you don’t believe me http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwltQ3MM5wg see for yourself
Comments are closed.