Welcome to version 4.5 of Anime Diet! As you can see, things look a little different–but not too different. It’s more of an evolutionary rather than a revolutionary upgrade, because there is actually a much more radical layout shift that’s coming in the months ahead–but I figured it was time, on this our third anniversary, to refresh things. Structurally, it’s pretty much the same.
New features to watch out for:
- A new mascot! You’ve seen it before if you’ve seen any of our recent videos. Diet-tan was drawn by Jose Cardenas.
- At the bottom of every post, you can send it to Digg, StumbleUpon, and other bookmark sites. Please use them!
- There’s a sidebar box with links to our Facebook, Youtube, and Twitter pages. There’ll be more to come!
This should be easier to read and a little bit cleaner, too. We hope you enjoy it! (And report any bugs that you might find. And yes, I know it looks kind of like Slashdot. :))
As we have been suffering from a bit of a spam problem lately–one that Akismet has been starting to crack under a little–I have, like many of you in the blogosphere, installed the Recaptcha plugin for comments. You’ll have to enter the two words shown in the captcha window in order to post a comment, or else it’ll be rejected. Hopefully this will reduce our spam problem, especially on random older posts.
If you see any problems with the plugin and are unable to post legitimate comments, please feel free to contact us by email, which can found in the “About” page in the top menu. Thanks.
Notice a few things different? That’s right, I installed a whole raft of new plugins alongside the necessary security upgrade to WordPress 2.3.2. A bunch of them were more for us admins (database backup, batch category editing, and the like), but here are the ones that affect you, our dear readers:
- Category Tree–now there’s a much, much better way to navigate the categories and subcategories our on site. The levels are collapsible, at long last, and don’t take up enormous oodles of space. Courtesy of the wp-dTree plugin.
- Edit Your Comments–ever wished you could fix a mistake you made or add something to a comment left on our site? Well, now you can, within 15 minutes of your posting. Courtesy of WP Ajax Edit Comments plugin.
- Related Posts–see what posts from our past might be related to the article you’re reading now! Admittedly, this doesn’t work quite as well as it should for the moment. Anyone got any clue how to fine tune it so that genuinely related posts show up? Courtesy of the Related Posts plugin.
- Currently Blogging List–see the list of shows we are blogging for the current season in the sidebar. Made possible by ExecPHP plugin, which allows PHP code to be run on the sidebar via a widget. Will change, of course, as soon as the Winter 2008 season gets rolling.
Planned future enhancements include a horizontal drop-down menu that clearly marks the sections of our website, so you don’t have to search or go digging through hard-to-navigate archives for something you’re looking for. Also, in the longer term, the entire layout needs a refreshing.
Thanks for reading and we hope the new features will be useful to you. Let us know in the comments if there are any problems/bugs. Thanks!