In our second Audio Face Off (see our previous one on Kokoro Connect), Ray and I talk about the merits and the limits of this season’s original satirical series, Humanity Has Declined (Jinrui wa Suitaishimashita, or Jintai for short). We go through the major plot arcs, what the fairies and other bits symbolize, and whether there is any ultimate value to cynicism without solution in this series. The discussion gets a bit heated sometimes so enjoy!
It’s definitely been too long since the last Anime Diet Radio episode…and a lot has happened since then. But now we’re back, just in time for AX coverage, the Aniblog Tourney, and more! We talk about the usual round of strange news–politicians buying manga with political funds, a robot officiating a wedding, and of course a bill about “non-existent children.” We answer all the letters from the last episode. And, finally, we fill you in on just what the heck has been going on with the site for the past several months and what we’ll be doing in the next couple of weeks: namely, Anime Expo 2010!
Here’s something a little different about this podcast too: we’re asking you for a few things! Have you ever wanted to help out our cause in some way? Well, here’s what we’re looking for:
- —VOTES FOR THE ANIBLOG TOURNEY! Right now, we’re in the middle of Round 4 of the Aniblog Tourney. We’re up against the classy and respectable blog The Null Set–but you love us because we’re crass and disrespectable, right? Please vote for us if you haven’t already! [http://aniblogtourney.wordpress.com/2010/06/22/round-4-match-8/]
- —FUNNY ANIME/MANGA TITLES: send us your suggestions for anime/manga titles that with only a slight change might suggest…something else. For instance, Ray suggested “Shounen Hump.” We’ll read the best ones aloud!
- —INTERVIEW QUESTIONS FOR AX 2010 GUESTS: there are a lot of Guests of Honor at AX this year. Do you have any questions to ask any of them? Send us your suggestions by email [firstname.lastname@example.org] or by leaving a comment!
- —AX VIDEO AND PHOTO: if you have any cool video or photos you’d like to share with us from this year’s Anime Expo, send links of them to us at the same email address above! We might feature the best ones on our site.
Lots of ways to contribute! Thanks so much for sticking with us in our down time and we will definitely be seeing you again soon!
(NOTE: as usual there were some audio quality issues here and there. Hopefully things will be better next time!)
- (00:00) Introduction
- (05:12) News 1: Bill Banning Nonexistent Children Struck Down
- (20:04) News 2: Robot Officiates Wedding
- (27:38) News 3: Politician Buys Shoujo Manga With Voter Funds
- (38:38) Mailbag
- (52:35) Roundtable: Our Past, Present, and Future
- (71:55) Conclusion
- OP/ED: “My Soul, Your Beats!” (regular and rock version)
- Source for the story about non-existent children is from ANN [http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2010-06-16/tokyo-nonexistent-youth-bill-rejected-by-assembly]. The robot wedding is from Weird Asia News [http://www.weirdasianews.com/2010/05/23/ifairy-robot-performs-wedding/]. Finally, the story about the politician is also from ANN [http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2010-06-15/minister-arai-regrets-aide-listing-manga-as-expenses]
- Once again–you can vote for us at the Aniblog Tourney here [http://aniblogtourney.wordpress.com/2010/06/22/round-4-match-8/]. Some of the previous coverage we did is available on our Youtube channel [http://youtube.com/animediet], and our lengthy interviews with Nabeshin here [http://animediet.net/conventions/pmx-2009-exclusive-interview-with-nabeshin]!
It’s been a long time since the last episode of Anime Diet Radio…and as usual things are taking just a little longer to put together than planned. But in case you’ve been missing our unique mix of wacky news, roundtable discussions, and dick jokes, here’s not one, but TWO teasers/trailers to whet your appetites.
One is PG rated, the other…not. One sees the return of my most favoritest radio host in the world. The other…not. You’ll hear it. (Podcast subscribers, you’re getting the “clean” one. Come to the site to listen to the other one.)
Here’s a special treat for all of you: instead of doing the usual post Ray and I decided to do an impromptu, unedited Summer 2010 audio preview! We go through every single show on Chartfag’s vaunted diagram, with some information nicked from THAT Anime Blog’s preview. So what do we think are the prospects for such shows like Seikirei 2, Highschool of the Dead, Occult Academy, and others? Listen and find out!
Again: unedited and productionless (ie, it’s not Anime Diet Radio). It’s Ray and Mike in the raw!
The second vidcast report is out. Again, a variety of topics are discussed. If not interested, just enjoy the moe pics. The audio version is just the first 10 minutes, as before.
And it’s now Anime Diet Corner – Ray Reports. But yes, it will be Vidcast from this point on.
The K-On!! Pics that I mentioned:
…because a new, Valentine’s Day appropriate, episode has just landed on your virtual shores to invade your ears. It looks like we’ll probably be sticking to a monthly release schedule for this main podcast for the time being, though of course you’ve probably noticed how much more active our podcast feed has been as of late with audio columns, videos, and even songs. We want to keep giving you only the good stuff and showing you all our love!
In this episode, we tackle some juicy, loving news items, including the Evangelion live-action project and its refusal to die, making your own clone, and of course, flying flocks of female underwear courtesy of Sora no Otoshimono–made real! There’s a mailbag section, at last, and to top it off, a roundtable section about what lonely male otakus can do on Singles Awareness Day.
Technical note: there were some audio issues here and there, namely the lack of my good microphone and some increased fuzziness from time to time. Don’t worry, it’s still very listenable–well I think so, anyway. Complaints will be put on file–the circular file!
- (00:00) Introduction
- (05:12) News 1: Live Action Evangelion Project Still Alive, Somehow
- (13:50) News 2: A Robot Clone of Your Very Own
- (22:32) News 3: Panty Flocks, Flying in the Air
- (30:50) Mailbag
- (44:40) Roundtable: Tips for Lonely Otaku on Valentine’s Day
- (55:52) Conclusion
- OP: “Perfect-area complete!” by Natsuko Aso.
- ED: “Baka Go Home (バカ・ゴー・ホーム)” by milktub
- The story about the live action Evangelion project’s continuation was at Anime News Network [http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2010-02-04/producer/live-action-evangelion-project-still-active].
- The story about the robot clones is at Weird Asia News [http://www.weirdasianews.com/2010/01/13/japanese-store-offers-robot-double-deal/]. An article about Roxxxy, an adult entertainment robot girlfriend, can be found with pictures at HuffPo [http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/01/10/roxxxy-sex-robot-photo-wo_n_417976.html].
- The flying panties story was originally reported on by Canned Dogs [http://zepy.momotato.com/2010/01/30/flying-panties-to-go-on-sale/], which includes a picture of one of the flying contraptions.
Our friends from Makenai have recorded a special treat just for you, dear readers and listeners–it’s a studio-quality cover of the famous K-ON! closing song, “Don’t Say Lazy.” Makenai aren’t just nobodies: one of their singers, Pam, was Anime Expo Idol 2008 (see her performance of the Basilisk OP, and our interview with her here after her win), and they’ve been covering anime songs for the past couple of years at various conventions. They also were the in-house band for our last panel, the Indecent Otaku Comedy Hour!
We’ll definitely be featuring more music from Makenai in the future, as well, so stay tuned. We love these guys and we hope you will, too.
UPDATE: now available on Youtube!
This is late due to tech issues, but this is epic! The stars of this episode, of course, are our friends at Makenai–the anime cover band based in Burbank CA! (One of their lead singers, Pam, was AX Idol 2008–see our brief interview with her shortly after her win.) Recently, we did a lengthy interview with them and they even agreed to perform their version of K-ON!‘s “Don’t Say Lazy“! You can hear an edited version of their interview on this episode, and an uncut video of both the interview and the song is coming very soon! Go visit Makenai at their Myspace page [http://myspace.com/makenaiband].
There were some audio issues with the interview. Another band was rehearsing in the studio next door, and they can be heard in the background sometimes–though the voices of the band are clear nonetheless thanks to a nice directional shotgun mic. Forgive us for the non-ideal recording. Hopefully it should be listenable!
Of course we have the usual crazy news items, which include the Love Plus marriage, Shokotan with cicadas in her hair, and Lupin III stealing a statue and Obama attending the premiere of Afro Samurai: Resurrection (really)?
Finally, as a gesture of goodwill–Pam and the band have also asked us to pass along the following message to help save her dog, Hachiko! Please help if you can.
Hi everyone. As most of you know, my little Maltese puppy Hachiko is sick T-T and he needs a surgery that will save his life. He has a liver shunt that produces stones to sit in his bladder and obstructs his urinary canal, thus endangering his urethra. Also his bladder could rupture. It is a very serious illness. The hospitals that offer the surgery don’t give us the chance to establish payment plans and it is extremely hard for us to afford it ($4500). So far, we have collected $200 as of 1/18/2010.
I don’t want to lose my puppy :( So I am asking all my friends to please help me with whatever you can, either by making a donation to Hachi’s paypal account or by going to the fundraising events I am organizing.
Thank you to all of you who have been helping me through these difficult time. It really means the world to me to receive the help needed to keep my little puppy.
This is the link for the paypal donation’s account:
- (00:00) Ira Glass Introduction
- (02:09) Regular Introduction
- (06:18) News 1: Man Marries Love Plus Character
- (14:03) News 2: Shokotan’s New ‘Do
- (21:30) News 3: Lupin and Afro Samurai Tidbits
- (29:39) Interview with Makenai (edited)
- (51:54) “Don’t Say Lazy” cover
- (56:28) Conclusion
- OP: Toki no Mukou, Maboroshi no Sora (時の向こう 幻の空)” by FictionJunction (OP to Ookami Kakushi)
- ED: 月導 -Tsukishirube- by Yuuka Nanri (ED to Ookami Kakushi)
- Ray is now already the Tsundere Banana. See all his audio columns so far here [http://animediet.net/category/podcasts/audio-column].
- The Claymore petition for the second season is here [http://www.shomei.tv/project-752.html]. See Ray’s original article about the subject here http://animediet.net/commentary/petition-for-claymore-season-2]. We were alerted to this by thiago_pagogna on MAL [http://myanimelist.net/profile/thiago_pagogna].
- Mike wrote something about the Love Plus marriage here and accurately predicted he would become fodder for Anime Diet Radio. The original video can be seen there. [http://animediet.net/commentary/news-and-commentary/otaku-marries-love-plus-character-becomes-possible-anime-diet-radio-fodder]
- Shokotan’s new cicada hairstyle was reported by Weird Asia News [http://www.weirdasianews.com/2009/12/11/japanese-entertainer-sports-dead-cicadas-hair/].
- It turns out they’re actually 17-year cicadas, not 15. The one that hits DC is called Brood X [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brood_X].
- Anime News Network has the two stories about Lupin and Obama http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2009-12-08/lupin-steals-statue-obama-attends-afro-samurai-show].
You may be asking, “what what? Anime Diet Radio isn’t dead?” Nope–it just went on a break along with a good part of my real life…but here we are, the first new episode in two months! It’s been far too long since we’ve graced your ears with our filthy banter about the wacky news and roundtable debates. This time, we talk about Noriko Sakai in rehab, inappropriate Hello Kitty products, a place where you can pay a tsundere to slap you…and far too many cracks about Amy Winehouse. Yes. Really.
We also have a special guest who you may be seeing much more of in the future–a friend of ours, Rome Lamoe, who joins us on the tsundere slap session! He’s a real live Japanese otaku, from Japan, who’s on board to talk about just how much he loves to get services at maid cafes. Oh yes.
Finally, we also have the most varied roundtable section, divided into three parts, in which we take more aim at celebrities in inappropriate cosplays, maid cafe services you don’t want, and what songs would work with an X-Men shoujo musical. I’m not sure how we came up with the last topic. Believe me, if you can come up with anything stranger/better/more humiliating, write us at email@example.com and we might just take the bait.
Anyways, there is already another episode after this one in the can–expect it next week. Fear not. The podcast is rising once more!
- (00:00) Introduction
- (02:55) News 1: Weird Hello Kitty Products
- (09:56) News 2: Noriko Sakai in Rehab
- (16:14) News 3: Tsundere Slap Store (feat. Rome Lamoe)
- (27:52) Mailbag
- (35:54) Roundtable:
- (38:27) Unwanted Maid Services
- (42:01) Celebrities Who Should Not Be Maids
- (47:29) Shoujo X-Men Soundtrack Ideas
- (52:20) Outtro
- OP: Nyandaful! (にゃんだふる！)” by Yui Sakakibara (OP to Nyan Koi!)
- ED: One Way Ryou Omoi (ワンウェイ両想い)” by Marina Inoue and Megumi Nakajima (ED to Kampfer)
- A whole raft of weird Hello Kitty products and their pictures can be seen at Weird Asia News [http://www.weirdasianews.com/2009/09/14/kitty-funny-weird-horrifying/].
- The original story about Noriko Sakai in rehab was found at Japan Today [http://www.japantoday.com/category/shukan-post/view/noriko-sakai-hiding-out-in-high-security-ward-of-university-hospital].
- The Cute Room is the subject of our third news item, and we are often referring back to a picture of the various girls there. This can be found at the story at Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5369862/would-you-prefer-to-be-slapped-or-game-with-a-girl]. And…uhh, this is what it’s like to be slapped by one of them. [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5joJc2DbOo]
On this very special anniversary for the Diet, Ray talks about his thoughts about being normal or not instead after watching Kara no Kyoukai 7 for the second time. It’s an introspective and unplugged Ray for 10 minutes and 34 seconds.
What it is: a podcast/audio column
Length: around 10 minutes. Less than 10:30.
Host: Ray from Taipei.
Frequency: Mondays at 10 PM (haha, I got the time wrong today. I posted it at 10 AM! I’m such a dumbass!)
What it’s about –
1. looking into my so-called Otaku life.
2. Thoughts and opinions on my observations for many things, mostly anime and culture.
3. Inner workings, ideas and others behind the scenes at Anime Diet (animediet.net)
Comment: It’s upclose (perhaps too much for discomfort), personal (I got good hygenes) and raw. It’s Ray unplugged.