Veteran male seiyuu don’t generally get a lot of attention compared to their younger, female counterparts. We hope to change that a little here in our spotlight on Toshio Furukawa, the voice of Ataru Moroboshi (Urusei Yatsura), Piccolo (Dragonball Z), and Shin (Fist of the North Star).
This is late due to tech issues, but this is epic! The stars of this episode, of course, are our friends at Makenai–the anime cover band based in Burbank CA! (One of their lead singers, Pam, was AX Idol 2008–see our brief interview with her shortly after her win.) Recently, we did a lengthy interview with them and they even agreed to perform their version of K-ON!‘s “Don’t Say Lazy“! You can hear an edited version of their interview on this episode, and an uncut video of both the interview and the song is coming very soon! Go visit Makenai at their Myspace page [http://myspace.com/makenaiband].
There were some audio issues with the interview. Another band was rehearsing in the studio next door, and they can be heard in the background sometimes–though the voices of the band are clear nonetheless thanks to a nice directional shotgun mic. Forgive us for the non-ideal recording. Hopefully it should be listenable!
Of course we have the usual crazy news items, which include the Love Plus marriage, Shokotan with cicadas in her hair, and Lupin III stealing a statue and Obama attending the premiere of Afro Samurai: Resurrection (really)?
Finally, as a gesture of goodwill–Pam and the band have also asked us to pass along the following message to help save her dog, Hachiko! Please help if you can.
Hi everyone. As most of you know, my little Maltese puppy Hachiko is sick T-T and he needs a surgery that will save his life. He has a liver shunt that produces stones to sit in his bladder and obstructs his urinary canal, thus endangering his urethra. Also his bladder could rupture. It is a very serious illness. The hospitals that offer the surgery don’t give us the chance to establish payment plans and it is extremely hard for us to afford it ($4500). So far, we have collected $200 as of 1/18/2010.
I don’t want to lose my puppy :( So I am asking all my friends to please help me with whatever you can, either by making a donation to Hachi’s paypal account or by going to the fundraising events I am organizing.
Thank you to all of you who have been helping me through these difficult time. It really means the world to me to receive the help needed to keep my little puppy.
This is the link for the paypal donation’s account:
- (00:00) Ira Glass Introduction
- (02:09) Regular Introduction
- (06:18) News 1: Man Marries Love Plus Character
- (14:03) News 2: Shokotan’s New ‘Do
- (21:30) News 3: Lupin and Afro Samurai Tidbits
- (29:39) Interview with Makenai (edited)
- (51:54) “Don’t Say Lazy” cover
- (56:28) Conclusion
- OP: Toki no Mukou, Maboroshi no Sora (時の向こう 幻の空)” by FictionJunction (OP to Ookami Kakushi)
- ED: 月導 -Tsukishirube- by Yuuka Nanri (ED to Ookami Kakushi)
- Ray is now already the Tsundere Banana. See all his audio columns so far here [http://animediet.net/category/podcasts/audio-column].
- The Claymore petition for the second season is here [http://www.shomei.tv/project-752.html]. See Ray’s original article about the subject here http://animediet.net/commentary/petition-for-claymore-season-2]. We were alerted to this by thiago_pagogna on MAL [http://myanimelist.net/profile/thiago_pagogna].
- Mike wrote something about the Love Plus marriage here and accurately predicted he would become fodder for Anime Diet Radio. The original video can be seen there. [http://animediet.net/commentary/news-and-commentary/otaku-marries-love-plus-character-becomes-possible-anime-diet-radio-fodder]
- Shokotan’s new cicada hairstyle was reported by Weird Asia News [http://www.weirdasianews.com/2009/12/11/japanese-entertainer-sports-dead-cicadas-hair/].
- It turns out they’re actually 17-year cicadas, not 15. The one that hits DC is called Brood X [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brood_X].
- Anime News Network has the two stories about Lupin and Obama http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2009-12-08/lupin-steals-statue-obama-attends-afro-samurai-show].
Few years ago, when both Lupin the 3rd and Case Closed were airing on Adult Swim, someone over in the Cartoon Network offices had the brilliant idea to put both shows back to back in the program schedule. Sheer genius. This “Lupin and Conan Power Hour” as I had dubbed it, was my favorite hour of television each night. I didn’t care if they were episodes I had already seen a few times before, each night my butt was rooted deeply into the couch, my eyes super-glued to the screen. Two great things that went great together… like liquor and fireworks. So when I heard the first Lupin TV special this year was going to be Lupin the 3rd Vs. Detective Conan, oh man was I stoked. Now that I’ve seen it… well… it wasn’t bad. Continue reading Review: Lupin the 3rd vs. Detective Conan Review