Well–this is the special, raw, and extra long sitcom edition of Anime Diet Radio, in which we discuss Johnnies of all kinds: and not just the one mentioned in our roundtable topic, that memorable show Eden of the East! For one, there’s a news story about a real Negishi-like pop star with a Johnny-shaped haircut; another one about an anime exercise video that might strengthen your Johnny muscles along with your legs and your arms; and finally, one where a random stranger wants to blow the birthplace of Lucky Star to bits with a bomb.
This episode was edited by Ray, our illustrious co-founder, as I didn’t have the time or energy to do anything other than write these show notes as I always do. All props go to him for lightening my load this week! He would like to mention that this episode is “best listened when drunk and even better stoned.” Perhaps those of you who care to do just that can fill in this nice, innocent, seminary student about what that experience is like? :)
Errata: since the recording of this podcast, we’ve learned that the pop star in question in News Item 3–Hideki Kaji–is in fact the one who sings Negishi’s song in Detroit Metal City and is definitely the basis for that character. That’s thanks to an ANN article we somehow missed as we checked that story out. Also, in a fit of liberal arts majorness* at the end of the Introduction, I proclaim that this was episode 34 when, in fact, it is episode 35. I’m just in denial about this podcast’s age, I guess.
–(04:49-12:11) News 1: The Lucky Star Terrorist
–(12:12-20:37) News 2: Training with Hinako
–(20:38-29:30) News 3: Pineapple Negishi Man Beat Up in the Home of Swedish Pop
–(43:14-62:29) Roundtable: Eden of the East
- –OP: “Falling Down,” by Oasis (OP to Eden of the East.
- –ED: “Futuristic Imagination,” by School Food Punishment (ED to Eden of the East
- –The story about the Lucky Star terrorist is at Anime News Network [http://tinyurl.com/d3njh8].
- –The story about Training with Hinako is at Sankaku Complex. [http://tinyurl.com/d3h6qs]. And you can watch it all over the place…
- –The story about “Negishi,” in its fullest form, is at Anime News Network [http://tinyurl.com/chbtnl]. You can watch a video of him here on Youtube, penis haircut and all [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgcdVZZ0v74].
*I have an English literature degree, people. Stop the hate mail. I totally relate to this song…[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CK6ksA0QyE4]