In this most unlucky of episodes, we talk about mostly industry incidents–the “Nice Boat” that sailed over School Days and Higurashi, the collapse of Geneon USA as an anime distributor, and the future of the American anime industry in the wake of a possible crackdown on fansubs by the Japanese companies themselves. As you can tell, this is one of the more serious episodes. We are really saddened and concerned in particular by the fall of Geneon, which was always one of the most fan-friendly of companies. I have already bought the deluxe box set of Haibane Renmei, which I haven’t seen yet, in tribute. Geneon USA, Sieg Zeon!
There’s also a few outtakes in the “xtras” file–mostly relating stories of surprising anime knowledge from supposed non-otakus, and some begging from the surviving anime companies to sponsor us!
- (00:00-02:24): ADR News Prelude: the Nice Boat Conspiracy
- (02:24-04:23): Intro
- (04:23-05:39): Agenda
- (05:39-19:21): News–Discussion of the Nice Boat Incident and censorship in anime
- (19:21-42:14): Roundtable 1–the fall of Geneon USA
- (42:14-62:25): Roundtable 2–fansub crackdown and the future of American anime industry
- (62:25ff): Conclusion
- –OP: “Eat It,” by Weird Al Yankovic. I think we found a theme song, folks.
- –ED: “Ashita e no Hikari,” by Asuka Hinoi (ED for Seto no Hanayome–my most recent anime obsession)
- –The original crime that led to the preemption of so much violent anime with a nice boat is detailed by Reuters. (http://tinyurl.com/2xseh4)
- –The Answerman answers your concerns about the fall of Geneon USA. (http://tinyurl.com/3y5cnl) The deal that fell through with ADV is recounted here. (http://tinyurl.com/2kny9a)
- –The Answerman editorializes on fansubs here. (http://tinyurl.com/3y5cnl)