As promised on my mother site, this is the unfettered, unbound version of a Top Ten TV Anime Of The 2000’s I’ve been stewing over since December. Not all of these favorites may be surprises by any stretch, but the reason behind these choices might make some eyebrows defy gravity. (But then wasn’t that pretty much how this whole decade played itself out?)
So let’s get down to it. These are the winners, the champions, the survivors of the ever-brutal Zeroes(2000-2009). So break out the plastic, it just might get a little juicy in here! (don’t forget to hit Show for all the gory details!)
Let The Carnage Begin !(Click Me First)
10. Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien
And speaking of lesser detected gems….
09. Victorian Romance Emma
Jarring tonal shift in 3…2..1…
The eyes of the young is something we should never lose ourselves, and from those we love. Which falls comfortably within the next entry..
7. Dennou Coil
You hear that rumbling in the background? Well…That’s hyperbole coming. And it’s well-deserved!
6. Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagaan
And I guess it only makes sense to transition from one great risk-taking studio, to the next generation. No matter what one may think, this next selection had all the necessary cards, and took everything but our home and underwear..
5. The Melancholy Of Haruhi Suzumiya
And this is a perfect place to segue into the endgame folks. This is where the play stops, and the collision of art & mind have domain. And what better way to start the top four, than with one of the medium’s most fascinating voices?
4. Paranoia Agent
And while we’re on the subject of mature, visceral anime…It’s probably time to break out the big guns. Big guns, and even bigger brains. I mean it.
3.Ghost In The Shell:Stand Alone Complex 2nd Gig
New identity is at the forefront of what could be considered one of the underappreciated giants of not only the decade, but of the mecha drama genre altogether…
Wintermuted’s Honorable Few!
– GitS SAC (original series) (2002) Why is this not up there with the big ones? Simple. It serves as fun exposition, where 2nd Gig raises the stakes in ways this one just couldn’t with all that thematic baggage.
– Gunslinger Girl (2003) Intensely executed science-fiction drama, as well as a scathing critique on a growing social disconnect with adult males.
– Last Exile (2003) Possibly this decades’ anime equivalent to Star Wars. Lovely characters, and an exceptionally realized world.
– Eureka 7 (2004) Exciting is hardly the word. Exhilarating might be more appropo. Anime escapism at its finest.
– Monster (2004) A VERY good version of Urasawa’s masterful manga. Endlessly intriguing.
– Windy Tales (2004) A total left-field winner that takes a simple concept of looking at the sky, wondering what its like to fly, and leads it into a winning look at some very interesting individuals. A true original.
– Kurau: Phantom Memory(2004) Brilliant science fiction that rubs antennae with the very best anime has to offer. A little wobble later prevents it from top ten status, but it’s still a potent experience.
– Kemonozume (2006) Masaaki Yuasa & Madhouse’s experimental take on the “Oni-in-our-midst” is a captivating view. Truly unique and not to be missed.
– Lovely Complex (2007) What is quite possibly my favorite shoujo adaptation in years wins largely due to its keen direction and cast. But most notably for the brilliantly dorky performance of one Akemi Okamura(Yes,Nami), in a hysterical turn as an unlikely romantic heroine.
– Toradora! (2009) Quite possibly, a penultimate high school romantic comedy, encompassing the notion of contrasting image with reality. Refreshingly funny, and heart-rending. A must!
– Higashi No Eden (2009) Kenji Kamiyama takes on JJ Abrams, with his thrilling cross-country mix of post 911 paranoia and world malaise. And all done with a smile & wink reminiscent of a certain master thief. Brilliant!
– Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 (2009) A last-minute stunner as Studio Bones takes on the harrowing possibility of natural disaster, and the resilience of life. All the more potent these days. An wonderfully executed series.
OAV of the Decade?
Oh that’s easy, even if it’s a technicality..FLCL . Have a nice ten years!