It’s definitely been too long since the last Anime Diet Radio episode…and a lot has happened since then. But now we’re back, just in time for AX coverage, the Aniblog Tourney, and more! We talk about the usual round of strange news–politicians buying manga with political funds, a robot officiating a wedding, and of course a bill about “non-existent children.” We answer all the letters from the last episode. And, finally, we fill you in on just what the heck has been going on with the site for the past several months and what we’ll be doing in the next couple of weeks: namely, Anime Expo 2010!
Here’s something a little different about this podcast too: we’re asking you for a few things! Have you ever wanted to help out our cause in some way? Well, here’s what we’re looking for:
- –VOTES FOR THE ANIBLOG TOURNEY! Right now, we’re in the middle of Round 4 of the Aniblog Tourney. We’re up against the classy and respectable blog The Null Set–but you love us because we’re crass and disrespectable, right? Please vote for us if you haven’t already! [http://aniblogtourney.wordpress.com/2010/06/22/round-4-match-8/]
- –FUNNY ANIME/MANGA TITLES: send us your suggestions for anime/manga titles that with only a slight change might suggest…something else. For instance, Ray suggested “Shounen Hump.” We’ll read the best ones aloud!
- –INTERVIEW QUESTIONS FOR AX 2010 GUESTS: there are a lot of Guests of Honor at AX this year. Do you have any questions to ask any of them? Send us your suggestions by email [email@example.com] or by leaving a comment!
- –AX VIDEO AND PHOTO: if you have any cool video or photos you’d like to share with us from this year’s Anime Expo, send links of them to us at the same email address above! We might feature the best ones on our site.
Lots of ways to contribute! Thanks so much for sticking with us in our down time and we will definitely be seeing you again soon!
(NOTE: as usual there were some audio quality issues here and there. Hopefully things will be better next time!)
- (00:00) Introduction
- (05:12) News 1: Bill Banning Nonexistent Children Struck Down
- (20:04) News 2: Robot Officiates Wedding
- (27:38) News 3: Politician Buys Shoujo Manga With Voter Funds
- (38:38) Mailbag
- (52:35) Roundtable: Our Past, Present, and Future
- (71:55) Conclusion
- OP/ED: “My Soul, Your Beats!” (regular and rock version)
- Source for the story about non-existent children is from ANN [http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2010-06-16/tokyo-nonexistent-youth-bill-rejected-by-assembly]. The robot wedding is from Weird Asia News [http://www.weirdasianews.com/2010/05/23/ifairy-robot-performs-wedding/]. Finally, the story about the politician is also from ANN [http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2010-06-15/minister-arai-regrets-aide-listing-manga-as-expenses]
- Once again–you can vote for us at the Aniblog Tourney here [http://aniblogtourney.wordpress.com/2010/06/22/round-4-match-8/]. Some of the previous coverage we did is available on our Youtube channel [http://youtube.com/animediet], and our lengthy interviews with Nabeshin here [http://animediet.net/conventions/pmx-2009-exclusive-interview-with-nabeshin]!
It’s been a long time since the last episode of Anime Diet Radio…and as usual things are taking just a little longer to put together than planned. But in case you’ve been missing our unique mix of wacky news, roundtable discussions, and dick jokes, here’s not one, but TWO teasers/trailers to whet your appetites.
One is PG rated, the other…not. One sees the return of my most favoritest radio host in the world. The other…not. You’ll hear it. (Podcast subscribers, you’re getting the “clean” one. Come to the site to listen to the other one.)
All your artwork are belong to us --Tite Kubo
Full disclosure: Anime Diet Radio was inspired first by the format of the old Anime Nano Podcast…but we can’t say we did what Nick Simmons did to Bleach! Our podcast, unlike his comic, is an homage (pronounced oh-MAHJ) and a tribute of that fine podcast from 2006. That, of course, is one of the topics of the news on this 48th episode of Anime Diet Radio, along with the usual news items about a possible island full of eromanga and a Korean man who just can’t get enough of his dakimakura.
The Roundtable is a little different this time around; due to technical and scheduling conflicts, it’s instead an excerpt of a fruitful conversation between Ray and Mike about the upcoming spring season. The full conversation is also available as a bonus xtra, downloadable on the website–includes all the awkward pauses and scroll wheel sounds you never usually hear on our productions! It’s a raw look at the kind of talks that gave birth to this podcast all those years ago.
You probably noticed that the podcasts have been coming out at about a monthly clip in the middle of the month. That’s on purpose–expect new episodes around this time every month from now on. We are striving to be, as they say, regular in these releases. Yell loudly if we’re late!
- (00:00) – Introduction
- (03:33) – News 1: A Korean man and his Fate pillow
- (11:50) – News 2: Eromanga Island is Real
- (20:37) – News 3: Nick Simmons’ Big Rip Off
- (30:19) – Mailbag
- (44:10) – Roundtable: Next Season
- (55:10) – Conclusion
- –OP: “Meiya Kadenrou (冥夜花伝廊)” by Minami Kuribayashi (from Katanagatari)
- –ED: “Refulgence” by Shoujobyo (from Katanagatari)
- –The story about the Korean man and his Fate pillow was reported in multiple sources. Here’s one from Metro UK, which names the lucky groom as one Lee Jin-gyu [http://www.metro.co.uk/weird/816601-man-marries-pillow]. Sankaku Complex has more pictures (NSFW) [http://www.sankakucomplex.com/2010/03/05/korean-otaku-marries-fate-testarossa-dakimakura/].
- –This, of course, recalls previous ADR episodes about the guy who married a Love Plus character [http://animediet.net/podcasts/anime-diet-radio-episode-45-the-late-makenai-holiday-show], and our epic episode about the petition to marry 2d women [http://animediet.net/podcasts/anime-diet-radio-episode-28-love-and-marriage]. See also our article which first broke the Love Plus marriage story and predicted it would become an ADR item.
- –Eromanga Island is real! At least according to the news at Pink Tentacle [http://pinktentacle.com/2010/02/eromanga-island-has-disappeared/], which supplies a map to prove it.
- –The Nick Simmons scandal has been widely reported from many sources. See some comparison shots on a lengthy Livejournal page [http://community.livejournal.com/bleachness/446299.html]. ANN has Simmons’ statement [http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2010-03-01/incarnate-simmons-addresses-alleged-bleach-copying] and an explanatory story [http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2010-02-25/nick-simmons-incarnate-halted-over-alleged-bleach-plagiarism]. Our own moritheil also reported on it on our site [http://animediet.net/commentary/great-artists-steal], to much comment.
- –The game site that is doing a contest to propose a Western-friendly romance game is Gamasutra. Here’s their challenge [http://gamecareerguide.com/features/831/game_design_challenge_.php], whose results will be posted on Tuesday.
- –Ray and I used Borderline Hikkikomori’s [http://cjblackwing.wordpress.com/2010/03/07/spring-2010-season-preview/] and THAT Anime Blog’s [http://www.thatanimeblog.com/index.php/2010/03/t-h-a-t-spring-2010-anime-preview/] spring season previews for our discussion. Props to y’all.
…because a new, Valentine’s Day appropriate, episode has just landed on your virtual shores to invade your ears. It looks like we’ll probably be sticking to a monthly release schedule for this main podcast for the time being, though of course you’ve probably noticed how much more active our podcast feed has been as of late with audio columns, videos, and even songs. We want to keep giving you only the good stuff and showing you all our love!
In this episode, we tackle some juicy, loving news items, including the Evangelion live-action project and its refusal to die, making your own clone, and of course, flying flocks of female underwear courtesy of Sora no Otoshimono–made real! There’s a mailbag section, at last, and to top it off, a roundtable section about what lonely male otakus can do on Singles Awareness Day.
Finally, we would like to again remind everyone that Pam of Makenai’s dog Hachiko needs money for life-saving surgery. Please see this link for more information, and click here to donate.
Technical note: there were some audio issues here and there, namely the lack of my good microphone and some increased fuzziness from time to time. Don’t worry, it’s still very listenable–well I think so, anyway. Complaints will be put on file–the circular file!
- (00:00) Introduction
- (05:12) News 1: Live Action Evangelion Project Still Alive, Somehow
- (13:50) News 2: A Robot Clone of Your Very Own
- (22:32) News 3: Panty Flocks, Flying in the Air
- (30:50) Mailbag
- (44:40) Roundtable: Tips for Lonely Otaku on Valentine’s Day
- (55:52) Conclusion
- OP: “Perfect-area complete!” by Natsuko Aso.
- ED: “Baka Go Home (バカ・ゴー・ホーム)” by milktub
- The story about the live action Evangelion project’s continuation was at Anime News Network [http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2010-02-04/producer/live-action-evangelion-project-still-active].
- The story about the robot clones is at Weird Asia News [http://www.weirdasianews.com/2010/01/13/japanese-store-offers-robot-double-deal/]. An article about Roxxxy, an adult entertainment robot girlfriend, can be found with pictures at HuffPo [http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/01/10/roxxxy-sex-robot-photo-wo_n_417976.html].
- The flying panties story was originally reported on by Canned Dogs [http://zepy.momotato.com/2010/01/30/flying-panties-to-go-on-sale/], which includes a picture of one of the flying contraptions.
At last, it’s here! This is the full, 42 minute video of our exclusive interview with Makenai, the anime song cover band now trying to branch out into original tunes. An edited audio version was included on the last episode of Anime Diet Radio, but here is the (mostly) uncut material! Find out more about the band and listen to some of their performances on their Myspace page.
Right now, only this streaming Flash version is available. A downloadable version will appear tomorrow here and in everyone’s podcast subscription feeds. Update, 2/4/10: The downloadable version is now up! It’s in MP4 format and is going out on the podcast channel too.
Once again, Pam from the band is asking for help in raising funds for her dog Hachiko’s surgery. Please click here for more details or see the banner on the right!
This is late due to tech issues, but this is epic! The stars of this episode, of course, are our friends at Makenai–the anime cover band based in Burbank CA! (One of their lead singers, Pam, was AX Idol 2008–see our brief interview with her shortly after her win.) Recently, we did a lengthy interview with them and they even agreed to perform their version of K-ON!‘s “Don’t Say Lazy“! You can hear an edited version of their interview on this episode, and an uncut video of both the interview and the song is coming very soon! Go visit Makenai at their Myspace page [http://myspace.com/makenaiband].
There were some audio issues with the interview. Another band was rehearsing in the studio next door, and they can be heard in the background sometimes–though the voices of the band are clear nonetheless thanks to a nice directional shotgun mic. Forgive us for the non-ideal recording. Hopefully it should be listenable!
Of course we have the usual crazy news items, which include the Love Plus marriage, Shokotan with cicadas in her hair, and Lupin III stealing a statue and Obama attending the premiere of Afro Samurai: Resurrection (really)?
Finally, as a gesture of goodwill–Pam and the band have also asked us to pass along the following message to help save her dog, Hachiko! Please help if you can.
Hi everyone. As most of you know, my little Maltese puppy Hachiko is sick T-T and he needs a surgery that will save his life. He has a liver shunt that produces stones to sit in his bladder and obstructs his urinary canal, thus endangering his urethra. Also his bladder could rupture. It is a very serious illness. The hospitals that offer the surgery don’t give us the chance to establish payment plans and it is extremely hard for us to afford it ($4500). So far, we have collected $200 as of 1/18/2010.
I don’t want to lose my puppy :( So I am asking all my friends to please help me with whatever you can, either by making a donation to Hachi’s paypal account or by going to the fundraising events I am organizing.
Thank you to all of you who have been helping me through these difficult time. It really means the world to me to receive the help needed to keep my little puppy.
This is the link for the paypal donation’s account:
- (00:00) Ira Glass Introduction
- (02:09) Regular Introduction
- (06:18) News 1: Man Marries Love Plus Character
- (14:03) News 2: Shokotan’s New ‘Do
- (21:30) News 3: Lupin and Afro Samurai Tidbits
- (29:39) Interview with Makenai (edited)
- (51:54) “Don’t Say Lazy” cover
- (56:28) Conclusion
- OP: Toki no Mukou, Maboroshi no Sora (時の向こう 幻の空)” by FictionJunction (OP to Ookami Kakushi)
- ED: 月導 -Tsukishirube- by Yuuka Nanri (ED to Ookami Kakushi)
- Ray is now already the Tsundere Banana. See all his audio columns so far here [http://animediet.net/category/podcasts/audio-column].
- The Claymore petition for the second season is here [http://www.shomei.tv/project-752.html]. See Ray’s original article about the subject here http://animediet.net/commentary/petition-for-claymore-season-2]. We were alerted to this by thiago_pagogna on MAL [http://myanimelist.net/profile/thiago_pagogna].
- Mike wrote something about the Love Plus marriage here and accurately predicted he would become fodder for Anime Diet Radio. The original video can be seen there. [http://animediet.net/commentary/news-and-commentary/otaku-marries-love-plus-character-becomes-possible-anime-diet-radio-fodder]
- Shokotan’s new cicada hairstyle was reported by Weird Asia News [http://www.weirdasianews.com/2009/12/11/japanese-entertainer-sports-dead-cicadas-hair/].
- It turns out they’re actually 17-year cicadas, not 15. The one that hits DC is called Brood X [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brood_X].
- Anime News Network has the two stories about Lupin and Obama http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2009-12-08/lupin-steals-statue-obama-attends-afro-samurai-show].
This is one of the few times a non-anime animation image will be shown here
Welcome to the first podcast of 2010! We are so futuristic, we time-skipped right over Episode 45!* In our attempt to herald the New Podcast Order we decide to go back to basics and just do what we do best: funny news and a roundtable discussion about nothing less than the future of anime and supporting technologies, especially the possibilities of Blu-Ray and whether it can compete with streaming solutions. In the news, we talk about Sleeping with Hinako, some Eva Fender guitars that we are sure were made to catch up with K-ON!, and man-maid cafes in Akihabara. (The last is actually a lot more respectful than you might think. We’re not just all about mockery here!)
* Episode 45 had some technical issues and will be released later this week. No, really. But this one is explicitly about the new year and it was felt to be more appropriate. Also, these were recorded too early to catch some of your comments, so the mailbag will return with episode 47.
- (00:00) Introduction
- (03:58) News 1: Sleeping with Hinako
- (11:55) News 2: Eva Fender guitars auctioned
- (18:03) News 3: Man-Maid Cafes in Akihabara and the Men who Crossplay
- (28:54) Roundtable: The Future of Anime Delivery Technologies
- (50:28) Conclusion
- OP, ED: “Hikari no Senritsu,” by Kalafina; “Girls, Be Ambitious” by Haruka Tomatsu (OP/ED to So Ra No Wo To)
- The story about Sleeping with Hinako can be found at ANN [http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2010-01-01/2nd-isshoni-anime-to-be-isshoni-sleeping-with-hinako]. The official website is at http://www.isshoni-sleeping.com/.
- You can see pictures of the Eva guitar here at ANN [http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2009-12-08/2-eva-fender-guitars-auctioned-for-17-million-yen].
- Japan Today had the original story about the man-maid cafes [http://japantoday.com/category/lifestyle/view/males-dressed-as-maids-latest-fad-for-akihabara-cafes]. The cafe profiled, Hibari-tei, actually has an English website too! [http://www.akibanana.com/?q=node/993]